Friday, March 27, 2009

MD vs DO and a new video

SO because I just could accept the crooked eyebrow the doctor gave me on Monday when I told her that my rib was "rotated" out of place, I made an appointment to see another doctor--a DO not an MD. I've seen him before and he's very nice. As I explained the eye rolling of the other doctor and the symtoms I have been experiencing, he smirked. (For two days I haven't been able to take a nice deep breath.) He said "Sure, of course, ribs are like a bucket handle...they move up and down" Uh huh...he popped 7, yes, SEVEN of my ribs back into place for me. Can I breathe a little better, yes...is it perfect, no...but I also know that I probably have some tension, anxiety and acid reflux in my lungs right now too...He assured me that my pulm/oxy level was 100%, which means that if I wasn't getting enough oxygen, it wouldn't be perfect...my BP was fine...breathing fine...so in the words of Dr. L "You're 29 years old...your levels are all fine, we've elimiated anything serious, which leaves 2 possible issues--a muscular-skeletal issue or anxiety." Uh, hello...have you been reading this blog? Anxiety is my middle name. He also told me that I have costochondritis--aka inflammation of the costal cartilage. For those of you wondering what that is...it is an inflammation of the cartilage that holds your rib to your sternum. He suggested an anti-inflammatory. He also confirmed (because I asked and told him I was curious if that curve coincided with my issues) that the "slight curve in my back" that my family doctor diagnosed me with back when I was...12...is in my upper back...ya know, RIGHT WHERE MY RIB ISSUES ARE...go figure. It was nice to have all of my fears put to rest and to know that I wasn't crazy...rib rotation can happen. And costochondritis can feel like a heart attack.

On another note, he did commend me on exercising and said that keeping my back strong could help with my rib issues. He also made me say "And I will NOT be disappointed if I don't reach my goal by my birthday."

Today my new videos arrived--Cardio Max and Power Sculpt. I figured that since Cardio Max is going away on On Demand and there isn't a cool down/stretch feature on On Demand, and because there is a Jillian feature, I'd get it...and the sculpt was just because it was on sale...and I do want to get some more focused strength training. YAY.

So I'm feeling better now that my ribs are in place again--it's not perfect and my breathing is still a little off but it's better...and mentally I feel better.

Here's to the weekend!
Annie

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! You are going to tell me who this D.O. is because it doesn't sound like your "old Dr." from before the eye rolling dr. And Yeah! You got Cardio Max and you are going to let me borrow Power Sculpt! (You did mean to put that in your post, right??)

    ReplyDelete