Vasovagal Syncope...
A vasovagal episode or vasovagal response (also called neurocardiogenic syncope) is a malaise mediated by the vagus nerve. When it leads to fainting, it is called a vasovagal syncope, which is the most common type of fainting.
Typical triggers for vasovagal episodes include:[1]
Prolonged standing or upright sitting, particularly when standing with legs in a locked position for long periods of time—avoidance of long-term locking of one's legs in the standing position is taught in the military as well as in marching bands and drill teams.
Standing up very quickly
Stress
Any painful or unpleasant stimuli, such as:
Giving a blood donation or watching someone give one
Watching someone experience pain
Watching/experiencing medical procedures
Sight of blood
Occasions of slight discomfort, such as dental and eye examinations
Hyperthermia, a prolonged exposure to heat
Sudden onset of extreme emotions
Hunger
Nausea or vomiting
Dehydration
Urination ('micturition syncope') or defecation, having a bowel movement ('defecation syncope')
Abdominal straining or 'bearing down'
Swallowing ('swallowing syncope') or coughing ('cough syncope')
Random onsets due to nerve malfunctions
Pressing upon certain places on the throat, sinuses, and eyes, also known as vagal reflex stimulation when performed clinically.
Water colder than 50 Degrees Fahrenheit, or Ice that comes in contact with the face, that stimulates the Mammalian diving reflex
High altitude
Use of certain drugs that affect blood pressure, such as amphetamine
Intense laughter[2]
High temperature, either enviroment or due to exercise
Intense laughter? Really?
Anyway, that's the blah blah blah my doctor said the other day...And apparently it isn't something that can be easily controlled...So it's NOT JUST IN MY HEAD. My body reacts to pain by shutting down to save itself.
Great.
I am eerily concerned that I am not constanly experiencing a vasovagal syncope. Although I did experience them quite often as a kid.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad this is about fainting, cause I gotta tell ya when I first saw the name, horror swept over me as I thought you were about to discuss something concerning your um, nether regions...
I almost had a vasovagal syncope episode at the thought. Right here on my kitchen floor.
Yes, we are related.
In order to not have those same thought, I pronounce it like this:
ReplyDeletevaso-vay-gal sing-co-pee
better, right?
Like I would ever discuss nether regions...ew.
Remember which sister I am...our sister...if she had a blog, yea...then I'd be scared. Kind of like the time she took the picture I had from my upper endoscopy and showed them to our uncle and said "Look! This is Anne's...doesn't it look like a...(insert words that are like vasovagal syncope but not).
Yea, I may have passed out a little when she did that...
Anyway, remember when I was little and I got "yellow eyes" when you were getting your blood work? Vasovaygul Singcopee!